Mar 3, 2008

Meyerowitz on portraiture

from Redheads:

"I try to follow the practice of the Japanese tea ceremony: "Give those whom you find yourself every consideration." My only request is that each person make the effort to be comfortable and fully confront the camera. Usually, I will make only one photograph (On rare occasions, if a fresh star is suddenly possible, I will make another.) I want to know what I feel without diluting it by making many photographs. This economy of means saves me from having an opinion, after the fact, based on superficial characteristics: "Her smile is great here, but her hair is better in this one..." I am not interested in making graphic choices or performance decisions. It is either/or for me: Either the photograph resonates the truth of our moment together, or it doesn't."



photo and quote © Joel Meyerowiz

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page